Friday, January 4, 2008

Culturally Different

I spent yesterday in Shipshewana IN at a hotel/in-door water park Splash Universe. Shipshewana is located in a predominately Amish/Mennonite area, so much so the restaurant located in the hotel is run by the Blue Gate Inn located in town and employes local Amish.

As I was in the water park, near the front just sitting holding Little Man, I noticed three ladies at the glass watching the crowd. And I stared back, watching them. All three I assumed worked at the restaurant, wore plain colored dresses, hair pulled up into a bun covered with a white hat and black socks and shoes. I wondered what must they think of us? All these young women wearing next to nothing bathing suites, walking around in the close proximity of men. We must all be heathens.

It is such a difference of culture, that I really never take notice of. Every so often I will people watch and see what people wear, are they conservatively dressed? And there is the every so often, What were they thinking, person. But I always wonder about other households, did their parents really let them outside the house in that?

And so we just stared at each other through the glass, both of us religious (I assume), both young women, possibly married with children, yet so vastly different.

And here's a picture of drunken Han Solo, he's passed out on the floor. Dragonfly, I don't have any of Leia, I didn't take as many as I would have liked. But enjoy.


Crazy Daughter getting off the slide, She LOVED the water park.
Little Man, not so fond of all the noise or water, this is one of the rare moments he was not clutching me.

4 comments:

Amy Y said...

I grew up in Indiana but only spent a very little time in Amish country... It is like a whole other world to me.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

painted maypole said...

there's a great museum in or near shipshewana about the amish and mennonite faiths.

the dragonfly said...

Thanks for the picture. I'd still like to see Leia, any picture will do!

I often wonder, when I see people who are so obviously "different" from me, what they are thinking when they look at me.

Jen said...

I've wondered that, too. I consider myself morally pretty conservative but I wonder what I look like to the Mennonites at the Target, with my jeans and tshirt and makeup - it would be neat to get in their heads!