Thursday, March 13, 2008

It's Huge

Okay, my newest crazy, spurr of the moment craft project is making a quilt for Crazy Daughter for when she gets her new Big Girl bed. She is currently in the futon right now but when we move to Texas (I dread thinking about that move) this summer we are going to get her a real bed. I looked at comforters in the store and they were crazy expensive and cheesy if you ask me. So why not, I've made one before, no big deal.

BTW, the one I made before was a lap quilt, my Mom and I took an Amish Quilt class and everything was done by hand as the Amish would do.

So I found a pattern that said it was super easy, all you needed to get for the front of the quilt was 20 1/4 yard blocks. I found some remnant fabric cheap so yeah, goody I'm on my way. Let me tell you all, I should have looked at the measurements before deciding on the "Twin" quilt.

It fits my bed, well a bit shorter than I would like and I'd be fighting for the covers if my husband were home. But it's huge. This was supposed to be for a twin bed, not anything bigger. Holy cow, now I've got the front part done, but I'm going to get material for the backing so I can start quilting. I guess this can be an heirloom she keeps forever right. lol

Me and my big ideas.
I know this picture doesn't do it justice, but it's hard to get the size and the detail of the fabric. Nothing really coordinates, but I like the crazy quilt style.

5 comments:

Jolyn said...

That quilt is absolutely GORGEOUS. It reminds me of the ones my grandma always made, and of the one I want to learn to make myself one day.

Jennifer said...

Oh, it's beautiful!! What a special gift for your girl!

the dragonfly said...

I love it! I wish I could do that...

Stacy said...

Great job! I haven't tackled quilting yet. I'm sure this will be an heirloom she treasures.

Mary Beth said...

I love the colors and the materials - really beautiful!