Saturday, November 3, 2007

I'm An Army Wife & I Can't Do it All

Tuesday at PWOC the topic of asking for help was brought up. How many times have you done this. A child in your arms, the other holding your hand, a diaper bag, purse and book bag slung over your shoulder. You have a plate of cookies in the hand holding the baby and you are trying to open the door with your foot. And someone asks you if you need any help.

"No, No, I've got everything under control. I can get it."

I know I am guilty of saying this, quite a lot in face. It seems us military spouses (and maybe other mommies out there, I'm just drawing from personal experience) are always saying this. We are Army Wives, I can take them to school, all theire sports, clean the house, cook, go to work and still be sane at the end of the day. We, I, feel the need to make sure things are going well here so my husband won't have to worry about things here, he can concentrate on his job over there.

We need to remember, and this definately includes me, that we can't, do it all. God make us to be in control over our entire world. Honestly most times when I try to control things, I make it worse in the end.

It's been humbling these past couple of months, learning to give up that control and to ask for help. There are people out there that care for us and are just waiting for us to ask. And maybe, their giving is God's blessing in their lives.

"Yes, thank you, I do need help with that door."

5 comments:

the dragonfly said...

Oh, I know that mentality. I don't need any help!! Even though I have a five week old baby and my husband just left for training and I don't have time to cook anything so I never eat and I'm still in major pian from delivering him...........

(I'm glad those days are over. And I'm getting better at asking for help from my friends..)

painted maypole said...

oh, it is hard on all moms, but I can NOT imagine how much harder it is on military wives.

Family Adventure said...

It is hard to ask for help. I think for some harder than others. But most people truly LIKE to be able to help out, keep that in mind.

Heidi

Mary Alice said...

I found you through Dragonfly. I am an Air Force, so I understand all about the mentality of being able to do everything on your own. I wrote about that not long ago myself. You are right, God does place people there to help us - if we will just let them!

Amy Y said...

As a former Army wife (out since '03), I feel your pain, mama. Thank you and your husband for your service to our country! :)