Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Terrible Tuesday: I can bake, really I can

I signed up to make a dozen cookies for BLT (Bible Lunch Tuesday, where the Chaplains take lunch to JC High School feed them and then they have a Bible Lesson). I got a call on Sunday reminding me, and I would have forgotten had I not had the call. Bad forgetful Rose daughter.

Okay, yesterday I just didn't have the sanity to make the cookies during the day and deal with the kids wanting to "help" make them. So I waited until they were both in bed nearly 8:30 PM. I choose a new recipe I hadn't made before, Marble cookies, with sour cream and melted chocolate, sounded good. Everything is going well, the dough looks good and tastes yummy and I start baking them. The come out goopy, not even remotely done, this is after 25 minutes of baking. I'm disappointed but I can come up with something.

I look around the cupboards and I have everything for the No Bake oatmeal cookies, I use the remaining sugar and follow the directions. Everything looks normal and smells like I remember them. I spoon out the batter on parchment paper and leave to harden overnight.

I get up this morning and find the cookies are goopy, they are not edible , well you could eat them with a bowl and a spoon, I'm not able to even pick them up. At this point you would think I would just leave things alone and say I tried and not bring in my promised cookies. But more than I wanted to fulfill my obligation, I wanted to prove to myself, that I really can bake. I really can.

So I look around, no granulated sugar left, so normal cookies are out of the question let alone I don't have the time to bake them. But I do have a box of cake mix, and so I find a recipe for cake mix oatmeal cookies, calls for only butter, eggs, cake mix, and oatmeal. By this time in the morning it's 7:30 AM and we need to leave to go to PWOC (Protestant Women of the Church) or Bible study. I need to get the kids dressed, myself dressed and I suppose we should eat something for breakfast.

At the end of the morning, I got them done, I didn't have time to try one but at that point I really didn't care what they tasted like, as long as they looked like cookies. I wasn't able to get a shower or eat breakfast for myself, but the kids were dressed, eaten, and we were on our way by 9:00 AM.

I've never had this happen before, where I made two completely different recipes and neither of them turn out. Maybe I was too tired, maybe I missed something in the recipe, who knows. But it will be awhile before I try making cookies again. I'm all baked out for now.

2 comments:

painted maypole said...

i'll eat those cookies with a spoon, send them to me! ;)

your bathing post inspired a post over at my blog today. ;)

the dragonfly said...

Is it okay if I tell you that you made me laugh out loud? This is only because I have similar stories, if not all from the same day.

Such is life.

(I started my cross stitch last night. It's going to take FOREVER!)