Monday, December 17, 2007

Winter Wonder Land - Mission Monday




Holiday List

Day 1, Monday. Lights started flickering and I lit some candles “just in case”. Realized that I really need to get some flash lights and some more convenient candles that will last longer than these decorative ones. Put away all the presents I had gotten out to wrap. Prayed that power would be on the next day.

Day 2, Tuesday. I woke up to a freezing house, no heat, no electricity, I looked outside and it was quite beautiful, trees were “weeping” all the way down to the ground. Branches had fallen everywhere, and sounds of ice falling from the trees every couple of minutes. I started up the car (was covered with at least a ½ inch of ice) and got the kids strapped in and we just sat there, but it was warm.

Finally realized that the power wasn’t coming on today and called S to see if they were warm, spent the night.

Day 3 Wednesday. I spent Tuesday night in Crazy J’s full sized bed, with Little Man, complete with Diego sheets and comforter. Crazy daughter slept in Crazy J’s old toddler bed, she finally fell asleep after much crying and trying to get out of bed to “go potty, kiss K, etc.). I woke up to an uncomfortably numb arm and a really warm child on “my side” of the bed. (As if there were ever really “sides” of the bed)

Called housing, and power should be on by maybe midnight. Ok, sure, alright. Headed over to my house to let out Barkey Dog, and realized my freezer is leaking. So pretty much threw everything in the trash, what could be salvaged I brought back to S’s house.

Power went off at S’s house around 3 PM, and “possibly be on by midnight”. With Baby J (only 2 months old) we started calling everyone from church to see who might have power.

We drove to Chapman (didn’t know where it was before that night) to A’s house, with S and her 3 kids. So…. A and her 3, my 2 and S’s 3, made for a really full house that evening. But A was quite gracious and we had dinner and a warm bed to sleep in.

Day 4 Thursday. Called my housing area and still no power, maybe on by midnight but no guarantee’s. S’s power came back on, so they left and another family from our church joined us. Her two girls watched all our kids and A and I went into town to Wal-Mart. I got shampoo, conditioner and a change of clothes, the stuff you don’t think about until you are without.

Day 5, Friday. Power was back on, yea!!!. Packed everything up at A’s and headed home. Ice had melted somewhat but it still covered half the trees. Headed to our house and workers were out chopping up broken down branches. The house was warm and power was on, but no cable or internet. I decided that we would just throw things into the car and head to Michigan.

Day 6, Saturday. Arrived at 2:30 AM at my in-laws house, roads were clear and dry, but there was a snow storm that followed right behind me. We left at the right time.
This entry is for Mission Monday hosted by Painted Maypole.

3 comments:

the dragonfly said...

You made me exhausted.

And also very cold.

painted maypole said...

glad you made it safely to MI. what an adventure! those kids will talk about that for years, though... "remember that time we had no power, and had lots of sleep overs?"

;)

thanks for playing along!

Kristi B said...

Oh, those pictures bring back some memories!! we had a horrible ice storm when we lived in Kansas City. It was Feb of 2002 and I was 8 months pregnant with J and O was only 18 months old. We lost our power for 5 days and didnt' feel like we had anyone close enough to us (no family) to impose on so my hubby hung blankets over all the doorways leading into the living room where we had a fireplace. We slept on a futon on the floor next to the fire which we burned all day and night. We kept our food in a cooler outside since it was freezing out and "cooked" with our campstove. By day four we were ready to die! so we finally called someone who invited us over to sleep. Thank goodness for the warmth! but the next day our power was back on. Honestly, I loved snuggling on that futon. I had my hubby on one side, me on the other, and both of our babies protected in between. Plus, the dog on the floor in front of the fire. Yep, good times.