Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Music and Memmories

I was listening to the radio yesterday and a song came on that I hadn’t heard in years. Go West Young Man, by Michael W. Smith, it brought me back to my thirteenth birthday party where I received the tape as a present. For some reason, that song will forever be linked to that period in my life; sleeping outdoors in a tent with 5 or so other girls, playing poker with candy and then the candy wrappers. It got me thinking, what other songs have a vivid memory. So here’s my list.


Go West Young Man, Michael W. Smith. 13th birthday party.


Love Shack, B 52’s. I know that sometimes this song is overplayed, but this clearly brings back senior prom, 1996. I went with my friends Dragonfly, and two others (I can’t come up with any cute aliases right now, and I don't remember who Happy, Sleepy and everyone was. Help me out dragonfly). We drew names to see who would buy who a corsage. And we danced all night long, caffeinated up on Squirt. When I hear that song, it brings me back to that night.


Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen. For two summers I worked up at our Church camp, cooking and cleaning. I really enjoyed the friends I made, though cleaning toilets during juniors week, boys should really learn to aim better. But when the guys and we girls went out in the church van, for whatever activity we had that night, we listened to a mix tape someone put together. And this song was one on there. When I hear it I’m instantly back in the van, driving down the bumpy dirt road, watching the guys go completely crazy with singing and air guitars.


Zombie, the Cranberries. This is a Princess Leia song, I believe we were in high school at the time (that would be about 94’ or so) driving in the car, singing our little hearts out. I had such a wonderful time in high school with my friends, such freedom, and looking back, such a short time it was.


Bullet with Butterfly Wings, the Smashing Pumpkins. It was my sophomore year of college in my American Literature class (modern literature I think) that my professor Dr. Stevens gave us a list of songs and the lyrics, to write a short paper on. He had U2 (his favorite band and always incorporated the lyrics into his lectures) Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, and a couple of others. This is the song I choose based solely on the lyrics. I hadn’t heard the song before, but the words were quite interesting to me.


I know there could be more, but can’t think of many right now. So please give me yours. I would love to hear all your stories.

7 comments:

the dragonfly said...

(stupid spammers...)

To begin with, it was Bashful and Sleepy we went to prom with. Wasn't it fun? Love Shack reminds me of prom too, as does Wild Wild West (does the phrase "wild, wild hair" mean anything to you? ;).

Here I Go Again by Whitesnake reminds me of elementary school, when I used to sneak down the street to my friend's house to watch MTV. I wasn't supposed to watch MTV...so of course I wanted to. That video was on a lot, for some reason that's the one I remember.

Here Without You by 3 Doors Down is just bad...whenever it came on the radio when the Sergeant was deployed I had to very quickly change the station. I do like the song, though.

There are so many. I'll try to think of more...

(by the way, thank you for putting Go West Young Man into my head.. *sigh*)

Bonnie said...

So many songs link up with memories ! and I have to agree with "the dragonfly" who said thank you for putting Go West Young Man into my head !! I'll be singin' it all day ! ha ha

SusieJ said...

I'm thinking.... Music is so powerful to me, that it's hard for me not to have a vivid memory for any song. I will think more on this. I love your entries.

Stacy said...

Pretty much any country song reminds me of summertime and rodeos. Madonna reminds me of my late elementary years. Songs definitely bring out your memories. :)

Maggie said...

Music...definitely something that is rich with memories! I loved your list - now I'm going to have to think about which songs I would list!

Don Mills Diva said...

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana - it was such a revelation during second year university when I was changing the world at the student paper...

Killlashandra said...

Great idea to trace memories back to songs. Hearing and smelling often trigger memories we wouldn't normally call up in a normal day. Great post.